What is Leukocyte-Platelet Rich Fibrin (LPR-F)?
Leukocyte-Platelet Rich Fibrin, also known as (LPR-F), is composed of platelets and plasma. Platelets are tiny cells that are partially responsible for causing blood to clot. Platelets also contain large reservoirs of natural growth factors necessary to begin tissue repair and regeneration at the wound site. Growth factors derived from platelets initiate connective tissue healing, bone regeneration, and repair, promote the development of new blood vessels and stimulate the wound healing process.
How is LPR-F made?
LPR-F is basically a bioactive “Band-Aid” that is created from your own blood and then placed in your surgery sites to promote healing. A sample of your blood is collected in a tube, just as it would be for a blood test. Dr. Crofcheck then uses the unique IntraSpin System to separate and concentrate certain important cells and active proteins by spinning your own blood in a dedicated centrifuge. After a fast preparation the bioactive clot, created just from your own blood, is now ideal for your procedure.
Is LPR-F Safe?
LPR-F is derived from a small quantity of your own blood drawn at the time of surgery. The LPR-F is made point-of-care at the time of surgery and under physician’s control. Also, since the LPR-F is made from your own blood, it is insulated against the risk of disease transmission. The IntraSpin System, the only procedure of its kind with FDA clearance, allows Dr. Crofcheck to create as many L-PRF clots as deemed necessary. LPR-F is not chemically altered and doesn’t contain any synthetic, animal, or other human ingredients.
Acceleration of Bone and Tissue Regeneration
Bone and tissue healing and regeneration depends on the migration of cells into a defect and remodeling into mature tissues capable of function. LPR-F accelerates and enhances the formation of new bone and tissue. Direct applications of LPR-F which may be of benefit includes:
- Sinus Lift Grafting: procedure to increase the height of bone in the upper jaw to support an implant.
- Horizontal Ridge Augmentation: procedure to increase the width and height of the lower jaw prior to implant placement, partial or denture fabrication or for esthetic concerns.
- Third Molar Sockets: reduces the incidence of dry socket and to enhance bone regeneration in the socket.
- Periodontal Defect Treatment: Periodontal disease is the leading cause of tooth loss worldwide. The growth factors secreted by the platelets in LPR-F will accelerate both soft tissue healing and bone regeneration.
- Alveolar Ridge Preservation: After tooth extraction, LPR-F combined with bone products can preserve the bone and boney contours to allow for ideal implant positioning and optimal esthetics.
- Tissue Grafts: Tissue grafting can be performed to cover root dehiscence or an implant exposure to release a high mucogingival attachment or to improve tissue appearance in the esthetic zone. LPR-F is used to enhance healing by providing hemostasis, speed healing, reduce pain and produce a better quality of tissue
If you have any questions about Leukocyte-Platelet Rich Fibrin (LPR-F), please call our dental office. We look forward to speaking with you regarding your periodontal needs.